Monday, September 8, 2008

Scotland the brave

What is Wimbledon anyway? I never knew, never watched it, except of course for the
women’s finals, and that was only for the bit of nipple action from Venus. But now I
have.

I have also taken some strange interest in cycling. Not actually doing it, but
watching them go round in circles. Which you must agree, is a particularly boring
thing. Not so, there has been Scottish success, and so it becomes interesting.

I have recently found out that there is a US open, I always thought the US was
open 24/7 but no, it’s a tennis competition for goodness sake.

It appears there is a US open in golf as well, so many opens I knew nothing about,
and so many things to find patriotic, let’s face it, darts, snooker and curling
where getting a bit repetitive.

So yes I did watch Wimbledon, to a point, and I will watch the US open final, in
tennis, I’m not so patriotic that I could possibly watch golf, but it’s all a bit
sad.

There is nothing wrong with being patriotic, but it is far too easy for
patriotism to spill over into racism and bigotry. And it seems none so more than
within sport, or more, using sport as an excuse.

For some strange reason, football fans seem to be the worst offenders. We have
knife wielding idiots fighting with each other in the name of football, and some
strange idea that Rangers and Celtic have some religious significance, they don’t,
they’re only football teams.

You also have the myriad of Irish football supporters, who not only think that
football tops are an acceptable piece of clothing, which they aren’t unless you are
playing or watching the game, but also find no duality in supporting English teams,
but would support Robert Mugabe if he was playing England at tidily winks.

I would be the first to gloat to my English friends if Scotland beat England at
any sport, as I would gloat with my Irish friends if the same where to happen. I
wouldn’t if they got beaten by anybody else.

Let’s put the sport back into sport, and remove the bigotry, otherwise the
Football World Cup will stoop so low that it will be as bigoted as the evil that is
the Eurovision Song Contest.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page