Sunday, March 8, 2015

50 shades of gobshite


I promised myself that I wouldn’t do it, made a firm pact, no way, no how, was I going to stoop so low as to sully these pages with mention of ’50 shades of grey’, but there now I’ve done it so I might as well continue, what a weak and shallow man I am.

Firstly, I haven’t seen the film, never will see the film, never read the book and never will read the book, or I think it’s more commonly known as fire lighters. So you are justified in asking what justifies me making comment on it? Have you read my blog? This sort of shit is just par for the course.

Secondly, I’m not actually giving out about the existence of the film, I’m no film critic, Christ I like ‘Waterworld’, but I find the thought that Women’s groups are objecting to it a bit farcical.

Now I apologise for my utter ignorance, but until I was researching for this piece, (which you can tell is always thorough and mostly involves Wikipedia), I always thought Women’s groups were called things like ‘The Spice Girl’s’, ‘The Bangles’, and ‘One Direction’. But no I couldn’t be more wrong, we have the FSIAB group, I know you will have spotted it straight away, but just in case, it stands for Fifty Shades Is Abuse. Call me jealous but I actually wish that I had made that up.

Now I have actually been on the blog site, bloody bloggers, linked with FSIAB, 50shadesisabuseblogring.wordpress.com, (there was a link on Wikipedia). There is links to twenty one other blog posts, categorised, on the evils of fifty shades. And I thought I was the only idiot taking the time to write on this. I also don’t claim to have the best grammar in writing but I wouldn’t mind finding out what a rape/rape culture means, don’t want to make fun but that seems like an awful lot of rape in one sentence!

The first thing that strikes me is that it was women that bought the book, made it famous and made it a success, so why are women getting on their high horse about it. I can with almost complete certainty guarantee you that of all the couples that went to see it on Valentine’s Day, none of them went because it was the guys’ idea.

Now it seems that it glorifies BDSM, bondage, domination and sado masochism, I don’t really fancy it, it sounds a bit like living in Knocknaheeny. Though I have little to brag about, it seems that three women were arrested in Glasgow, it would be Glasgow wouldn’t it, for hitting a guy with a bottle who asked them to be quiet as they were ruining the film with their screaming. I think the film was on the ruined side before they started screaming.

In a society where such outrage was caused by Ronan O’Gara’s comment on the ‘Late Late Show’, and let’s be honest at worse it was just a particularly poor joke, don’t worry Ronan I know all about those, that the whole film wasn’t just banned or only available in sticky video booths in adult stores. I haven’t actually been in a video booth in an adult store but I would imagine them to be on the sticky side.

My big issue is that I don’t think media causes problems, Childs Play didn’t cause the Jamie Bulger killing, sick human beings did that, otherwise I would have [DH1] to wonder what sick frescos Genghis Khan was looking at just before he devastated half of the known world and Adolph Hitler must have been watching a ‘Laurel and Hardy’ movie that I’ve never seen just before he marched into Poland. But maybe I’m wrong, since I just watched ‘Mission impossible’ and I have an irresistible urge to swing from the county hall to, feck it there’s nowhere to land, why don’t I live in New York?

I’m not one to make light of things, laugh if you want, feck you, you don’t really know me, apart from the ones that do, and feck you too, you know I don’t give a shit. ’50 shades of grey’ is a book, and then a film. It’s not real life.

I am of course looking forward to the follow up, ‘Fifty Shades Of Gay’ where we see Gay Byrne giving us a road safety documentary wearing a gimp suit.

Fifty shades promotes abuse in the same way that ‘Braveheart’ promotes killing the English, or was that just a promotional video. Or perhaps we can berate Schindler’s List as promoting the holocaust. Anyway enough of that nonsense I’m off to stake out the local graveyard, the documentary ‘The Walking Dead’ has me scared out of my wits. I’m just glad that two thousand and twelve turned out to be a hoax!


No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page